We are excited to announce Sara S. (Henry's mom) as our March Mom of the Month! Sara has been a Stroller Strides member for 8 months and continues to see improvements in her strength and endurance. She is also participating in the Run Like a Mother 10k training team. Congrats Sara!! 1. I have a beautiful 10-month-old son named Henry who amazes me every day. He crawls, stands and says “mama”. Melts my heart every time I hear it.
2. My husband and I did not know what we were having until Henry was born and I will definitely do that again. It was so exciting to hear “it’s a boy!”. It would be nice to hear next time “it’s a girl!”… we’ll see.
3. My husband, Greg, and I have been married for 2 years. His office is our 3rd bedroom so I see him a lot. We never get tired of each other.
4. I wore the wedding dress my mom wore at her wedding 40 years earlier. Both my sisters wore it for their weddings too. Needless to say, it’s had a few alterations.
5. For our honeymoon we spent 3 weeks driving from San Diego to San Francisco with a detour to Napa. My favorite day was Disneyland. We were there from open to close.
6. In 2008 I capitalized on my passion for organizing and started my own business. I also worked for an organizing company called Space Matters. My motto is “everything has a place”… yup, my house is pretty buttoned up.
7. One day when Henry (and hopefully his brothers and/or sisters) are older I’d like to start my business up again. In the meantime, I’m happy to give consultations and advice on organizing. I love organizing and want others to know the benefits it can bring to their lives.
8. I was born in Marietta, GA in the year of the Bicentennial and have 2 older sisters.
9. We moved to Tennessee where I attended high school and college. Georgia will always be my home state but I’d move back to Tennessee in a heartbeat. Richmond is the furthest north I’ve ever lived and after this winter I know why.
10. During high school I was on the swim team but never learned to dive off a diving board. I also was on the synchronized swimming team and can still do some cool moves in the pool.
11. In college I joined the girl’s club soccer team and would have stayed on for the varsity team if I hadn’t torn my ACL. I had reconstructive knee surgery and haven’t played soccer since but the knee is fine 15 years later.
12. I was a debutante my sophomore year of college. Yes, the pictures are priceless as was the newspaper announcement, video and frilly white dress. Hello world here is Sara.
13. I have a degree in biology with a minor in chemistry from Tennessee Tech University, home of the Golden Eagles. I chose biology because “I love plants and animals…” Yeah, I found out it was a little more than that but I just couldn’t see myself studying anything else.
14. I’m excited to share my passion and appreciation of nature with my children. Plus, my husband gets a kick out of the all the birds I can name.
15. One thing he does not get a kick out of is my collection of anything squirrel - statues, jewelry, prints (all very tasteful of course). In the 4 years we’ve known each other he has never given me anything with a squirrel on it until this past Valentine’s Day. He loves me.
16. My dog, Libby, will be 12 this year but doesn’t act a day over 2. She is so good with Henry and lets me dress her up as Snow White every Halloween. She’s a great dog.
17. My cat, Baker, is 10 and just a big, fat, sweet cat. If I want him to come to me I just whistle. He’s not so crazy about being dressed up for Halloween but I do it anyway.
18. So I kind of like… no, actually I love candy and chocolate chip cookies. I can’t keep either of them in the house. My husband calls me a closet candy eater because he knows I eat candy but he never sees me do it. It doesn’t count if no one sees you right?
19. Greg and I are huge theme park junkies. We had season passes to Busch Gardens for a few years in a row. My favorite ride is Apollo’s Chariot and nothing is more fun than Busch Gardens at Halloween.
20. We love to travel and having a baby hasn’t slowed us down too much. We’ve taken him to Atlanta, Chicago, Asheville, Knoxville and New York City. We’re contemplating a trip over the pond this year.
21. My husband gave me a digital SLR camera for Christmas and I’m currently enrolled in a photography class at U of R. The auto setting has been banned.
22. I’ve been a member of The Junior League of Richmond for 8 years and served on the Board of Directors a couple years ago.
23. In 2006 I went on a mission trip to Honduras where we painted a church and girl’s home. I never imagined walking into a grocery store that was guarded by a man with a machine gun. It’s a beautiful country though.
24. I really like yard work. We live in a townhouse and as such don’t have a yard but I’m looking forward to when we do. Planting flowers, tending the garden and cutting the grass, it’s all fun for me.
25. Stroller Strides has been tremendous. I’ve met some great women and working out has helped me achieve my goal of getting into my favorite pair of 7’s. My husband attended a class with me this past summer and has a new appreciation for my exercise regime… it kicked his butt.
3 months ago